Well, I was out and about again! This time with my sister ifah,where we heading to KLCC for a world halal forum with the theme Achieving global halal integrity, it was a 2 days forum and she insisted us to go since we had invitations, and she said that those with invitations were honoured to attend this particular forum, and I guess we were among the honoured people then! Sounds cheesy enough for me.
Well, we managed to reach their safely and also we were like lost among the ocean of people wearing suits and we were like looking at each other gasping OMG-wrong-dress-codela!!
But who cares duh...well the main point is that we managed to hear the final session, meaning that they were wrapping up the 2-days discussions and stuffs.
And as usual I would like to share it with all of you, they talk about the concept of halal toyyiba .Basically, halal means the way of life, but the issue that was appointed and discussed thoroughly was about stunning and slaughtering the animals. There was a statement from a panellist that, stunning and mechanical slaughtering was restrictly prohibited!!I’m no one to claim it is totally haram, but yet as a Muslim it did make me think back, with these modern gadgets and all, stunning is practiced worldwide, so there must be to stop it. But is it true that stunning is prohibited??!!That's a question that will be ringing in my head and I won’t stop from trying to find the resolution to this matter. Well, here’s an article regardless fatwa on stunning animals that shows vice versa saying that stunning animal does not lead to unlawful meat, wallahualam.
Until then, let the scientific researches, continue researching this matter. As a Muslim too, after receiving any news, we can’t just simply agree with it, yet, we need to do some research too, let’s pray to Allah, He will continue guiding us to the right path and show us the truth.
Back to the slaughtering animals according to Islam, it is said to be a much better solution and has a rational reason.
Islamic method of Slaughtering animals is better
Al Shaddad Bin Aous has quoted this tradition of the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) "God calls for mercy in everything, so be merciful when you kill and when you slaughter, sharpen your blade to relieve its pain".
Many allegations have been made that Islamic slaughter is not humane to animals. However, Professor Schultz and his colleague Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany, proved through an experiment, using an electroencephalograph (EEG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) that *Islamic slaughter is THE humane method of slaughter* and captive bolt stunning, practiced by the Western method, causes severe pain to the animal. The results surprised many.
1. Several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all animals, touching the surface of the brain.
2. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks.
3. Some animals were slaughtered by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular veins and carotid Arteries of both sides; as also the trachea and esophagus Halal Method.
4. Some animals were stunned using a captive bolt pistol humane slaughter by the western method.
5. During the experiment, EEG and ECG were recorded on all animals to record the condition of the brain and heart during the course of slaughter and stunning.
Results and Discussion:
I - Halal Method
1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.
2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.
3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.
4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.
II - Western method by C.B.P. Stunning
1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.
2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.
3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood in the meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.
There’s also a must when we are slaughtering these animals, like my friend bean mentioned to me, it is necessary to say basmalah at the beginning of a slaughtering!!!
So the heat is felt and as a youth I am so concerned about this, because there is a saying we are what we eat. So the food we consume plays a priority part in our life.
I’ll give you another link regarding this halal meat, and I hope it helps those who are also eager to know!!